Re: /sbin/rc0.d/K00enoracle not run with shutdown -r now

From: Robert Mulley <robert_at_gnsconsulting.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:41:35 +1000

Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

> Alan Garde wrote:
> >
> > Read the man page for shutdown.
> >
> > Shutdown -r now does a broadcast kill, it does NOT run the /sbin/rc0.d
> > scripts. If you want them to run, do a shutdown now to get to single user mode
> > and then a shutdown -r now from single-user mode.
>
> From single user mode you can only issue "halt" or "reboot". "shutdown"
> will try to write to some log files on /var file system, which is
> unmounted in SU mode. You'll get error message, no big deal.
>
> Nix.

If a shutdown from multi-user mode does a broadcast kill why wouldn't it do the same under single user mode?
The only way I'm aware of is to use init 0 (to halt the machine) or setup using /etc/inittab your own runlevel 6 which runs all the kill scripts (from highest to lowest), then as K00reboot just issue a shutdown -r now. This will process all scripts and then reboot.

BTW It shouldn't be noted that both "init s" and "shutdown now" do not bring the system to the same state as if you had of booted to single user mode. So that Nix's statement is wrong if you have gone from multi-user to single-user. The disks do not get unmounted.

Robert. Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 23:41:35 CDT