Re: Importing from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8i

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:57:05 -0400

Sure, that would be no problem. It might be slow because you have to pre-create your indexes, but otherwise is pretty straight forward: 1. export database from 7.3
% exp system/manager file=exp.dmp full=y log=exp.log

2. import on new database with indexfile parameter % imp system/manager file=exp.dmp indexfile=create_structures.sql full=y

3. edit storage parameters in index file % vi create_structures.sql
(take out things like ^REM, etc to get your ddl) (edit your storage parameters)

4. Create users in new database

5. Create structures in new database
% sqlplus system/manager @create_structures.sql

6. import data with ignore=y option
% imp system/manager file=exp.dmp full=y ignore=y commit=y log=imp.log

Other things to consider as long as you are doing a full export/import: 1. Using partitioned tables/indexes
2. Modifying your db_block_size