Re: Kernel eating 50-80% of CPU (oracle server)

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:32:41 -0400

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:18:25 -0700, "Winnie Liu" <winnie_liu_at_infonet.com> wrote:

>I don't think that fact that Oracle generating 4 dedictated servers a sec
>will eat up that much memory. But do show us the exact Oracle process that
>shown in the TOP command in order to troubleshoot. The Information that you
>gave out is way too little.
>
>Winnie Liu
>DBA
>Infonet Services Corporation
>mailto:winnie_liu_at_infonet.com

You can reduce CPU usage dramatically by configuring the Multi-Threaded Server (MTS) option. A pool of servers are pre-spawned and used by connections as needed. Great for web-type apps which create and destroy many sessions in rapid succession.

Docs are not great, but I have examples if you need them.

Chris

Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Sandbox.com
chamilton_at_sandbox-inc.com