Re: Backup Strategy for a a Database driven Web SIte

From: Rob Calfee <trace_at_primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:10:57 GMT

        The only way it could ever become a performance hit is if you have the archviver writing to the same disk that has your high activity table(s). You want to separate your archive destination and high activity tables on to separate disks so they will concurrently write and not affect each other. A disk can only write to one place at a time.

          With archivelog mode on, you can perform a hot backup during times of little activity. You want to schedule the hot backup during periods of little activity because it will generate a high amount of redo activity during this period if you still have DML going on. You don't want this going on when there is a high amount of website activity.

        Also, for a hot backup, you will have to put your tablespaces into hot backup mode, copy the files to tape or other media, and then bring them out of hot backup mode. Do this for each tablespace INDIVIDUALLY, ONE AT A TIME. Take a tablespace into hot backup mode, backup the tablespace's files, bring it out of backup mode, and then proceed to the next tablespace. This will cut down on redo generation and keep performance as high as possilbe during the hot backup. Also, if one tablespace fails during the backup, it will not affect the whole backup.

I hope this helps, email me if you have other questions.

Rob Calfee
l_robert_c_at_yahoo.com

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:39:17 -0500, Venkatesh Kumar <vkumar_at_fundu.com> wrote:

>Hi guys,
> We are using an Oracle Database for our company's Web site. Since this is a
>Ecommerce company, we are looking for the best backup strategy possible with
>minimum downtime. I would apprecaite any pointers or documents that deal with
>this. Also are there are general recommendations of running with ARCHIVE MODE ON
>on versus ARCHIVE MODE OFF with respect to overall performance of the Oracle
>database. I konw that running a database with ARCHIVE MODE ON will let me do a
>point in time recovery in case of a crash, but what we want to know is that is
>the performance hit too much for using this feature ?
>
>Thanks
>Venkatesh Kumar

Rob Calfee
DBA
l_robert_c_at_yahoo.com Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 09:10:57 CDT