View with functions (Oracle 7.3)

From: Ruud de Gunst <rdgunst_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:53:02 +0200

Hi DBA's,

If I have a view definition (in Oracle 7.3) like the following:

create or replace view vw_dummy
as
select

   function1(col1) c1
  ,function2(col2) c2
  ,function3(col3) c3

from

   dummy
;

and the following query is executed:

select

   c1
from

   vw_dummy
;

will Oracle process all the columns in the view, and thus execute all functions for all columns, or just function1?

From what I know about how Oracle handles queries on a view, I would say it will process the entire view, not just function1.

Am I right?

Thanks,
Ruud de Gunst Received on Wed Sep 29 1999 - 05:53:02 CDT