Re: Linux Kernel Parameters / Oracle8

From: Peter Davey <davegp_at_netlink.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:29:17 +1000

Thomas,
When I installed Oracle 8.0.5 on Red Hat Linux I checked this out with Oracle support. They gave me the name of the source files that refer to these parameters however it doesn't appear to be a practical exercise to modify them and Red Hat said that this kind of thing isn't included in their Installation Support. (In SCO Unix it's pretty straight forward to change these parameters). When I had a good look at it, the only parameter that concerned me was the one that controlled the maximum number of processes (can't remember the name - I'm writing this at home so don't have the manuals) which in my kernel is set to 32. My understanding is that this restricts you to 26 concurrent user sessions (i.e. 26 user processes + 6 Oracle processes) and this wasn't a problem for me.

I run a modest sized data warehouse on a Gateway ALR7200 (PII 400) with 128Mb RAM and 3x4.5 Ultra2 SCSI disks and it runs fine.

During installation, I had problems with the rootpre.sh and rootpost.sh (Is that what they're called?) scripts that had the path to the shell hard coded on the first line e.g. !/usr/bin/sh - on my system the sh executable was in a different directory. You could probably get around it by creating a link to your sh file that has the same path as that coded in the script. There was also a problem installing the documentation so best to skip that and do it manually.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other Qs.

cheers
peterD