UTL_FILE problem

From: L.Halliday <mahalliday_at_snet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:11:00 -0400

I am having a problem with utl_file.

I am running HP-UX 10.2, Oracle 7.

The init.ora file has been updated to include the directory I want to use and the database has been recycled (I checked v$parameter and it looks fine).

The directory is read/write/exe for the world and is owned by the user oracle.

I have a Pro*C program which creates the file in 'C' and changes the permissions of the file to read/write for the world.

In the embedded PL/SQL portion of the code, I open the file with append. I 'put' a message into the file and the next statement is the utl_file 'flush' command.

I am getting a WRITE_ERROR on the flush command and am not sure why. When the program exits, my message is in the file (I assume that is due to the normal flushing of the buffer). If I remove the flush command I do not get any errors.

I have checked the normal unix stuff (enough diskspace, permissions look fine) and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to other things to look for. Is there possibly another database parameter besides the utl_file directory specification that needs to be set?

       Thanks,
          Lee Anne