Re: Parallel table effects Index build why?

From: Ajk <amos.kudirka_at_firstdatacorp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:22:06 GMT

In article <938185367.3247.0.nnrp-04.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Server Tuning p 18-52

Thanks Jonathan for your reply - still have questions.

What Server Tuning Book are you refering to? I have several and I do not find anything definitive on the statment you wrote below.

> "By default, the Oracle Server uses the
> table definition's parallel clause."
>
> What syntax are you using to tell Oracle
> not to create the index in parallel ?

  I supplied no syntax on the DDL I let it default of NOPARALLEL!

> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Ajk wrote in message <7sg0mg$3ms$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >7.3.4
> >2 wide 4 CPU nodes AIX running PQO, and PSO
> >I have a table that is parallel degree of 8 instance 2.
> >
> >Problem Description:
> >A coworker ran a create Non-Unique index and it abended with:
> >ORA-12801: error signaled in parallel query server p008, instance 2
> >ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
> >What-ever
> >
> >My question: I only have the table eligiable for parallel. Why
> >is the index using the table settings? The index is set to no
parallel.

> >No where in any of the tuning books says the index build will use
> >the table parallel settings!
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:22:06 CDT