Re: log_buffer settings

From: Steven Cardinal <scardinal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Sep 1999 07:48:47 PDT

Can you further explain the issue of a large log_buffer setting? I have mine sized quite large and, if I understand you correctly, I am probably hurting my performance. I have 8.0.4 on NT 4.0 with 1.25 Gb. We maintain a warehouse of data. We load large quantities at a time via sqlldr (direct load option is used) - between 2 and 8 million records at a shot. We then have to scrub this data with various procedures looking for bogus characters, swear words, etc. The we de-dup it. By watching (and probably mis-interpreting) stats and knowing that all of our important processing is with large quantities of data, I have sized the system as follows:

Database Buffers: 320,000 KBytes
Fixed Size: 47 KBytes
Redo Buffers: 100,008 KBytes
Variable Size: 20,252 KBytes

The sort_area_size is 25 Mb and my db_block_size is 8K

Further discussion is appreciated, as I am still new to Oracle and welcome any real world info that can be passed along

Steve

Thomas Kyte wrote<snip> Received on Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:48:47 CDT