Re: Oracle 8i on Linux

From: Marcel-Jan Krijgsman <m.jkrijgsman_at_consunet.nl>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:51:45 +0200

Hi Tom,

Just like you I had some frustrating time installing Oracle8i, but last week I finally got it working.

Some black mangic you might need:
- Use the exact JRE version from Blackdown. That is JRE 1.1.6 v5 for glibc,
try for example:
ftp://iodynamics.com/pub/mirror/linux-jdk/JDK-1.1.6/i386/glibc/v5/jre_1.1.6-v5-glibc-x86.tar.gz

After unpacking this file you need to make a link called /usr/local/jre, which should point to the directory, where you unpacked JRE.
- I've used KDE as X display manager with succes. GNOME with Enlightenment
proved to be a problem. But there is a patch for Enlightenment at RedHat which should fix that. Have a look at:
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/errata/rh60-errata-general.html

Now if you follow the instructions, you should theoretically be fine.

Good luck,
Marcel-Jan Krijgsman
Oracle DBA
Origin Nederland B.V., BAS/West Received on Sun Sep 26 1999 - 07:51:45 CDT