Help - Datafile more recent than control file Error.

From: William Ryan <wryan_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 07:45:36 -0500

How do I take care of an error:

    "datafile d:\usr2orcl.ora more recent than control file - old control file"

The datafile was modified during a failed attempt at patching our server. I was trying to patch our Workgroup for NT server 7.3.2 to 7.3.4 (Y2k compliance...) Anyway the upgrade stopped when I got an error message about having unlimited extents in a rollback segment so I decided to just reinstall the old version and restore my data.

Turns out that one tablespace(1 readonly file) was never backed up. It's part of the same instance but not used with any of the other apps. Anyway, I can't get the database to open, the instance will start and mount but that's it. If it can't open I can't drop the tablespace - right? (it contains a single table, which I can recreate later from the original data). I have a current offline backup of all the other datafiles, control files, log files and initorcl.ora file.

It's the other tablespaces/datafiles that are used by a vendor provided application that I need to get up and running. I struggled with trying to 'recreate' the control files but am really out of my area here. If there's some way to either update the control file to accept the more recent datafile, or to get the control file to allow me to just delete that datafile...

Any suggestions would really be appreciated as I've been up all night at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Ryan
University of Illinois
wryan_at_uiuc.edu Received on Sun Sep 26 1999 - 07:45:36 CDT