Re: Problem importing file over 2Gb...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:15:44 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Maria Nordfeldt" <mnt98002_at_student.mdh.se> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:51:59 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>I have problem importing an export-file that is 20 Gb large.
>I'm running IBM AIX 4.3 with Oracle 7.3.4.4. The file is stored
>on a "Large Enabled Filesystem".
>I got ORA-00021 message. "Cannot read file....".
>
>I can read the file with the cat-command or more-command.
>
>I've exported the file on a Digital Unix machine, with the same
>Oracle release.
>
>Has anyone run in to this problem before....
>
>/Maria

Try using a PIPE so the device imp gets is not a 'seekable' device. when you give IMP a straight file, it'll try to seek around the file but since its >2gig it'll fail.

try this:

$ mknod -p input.dat
$ cat the_real_input_file.dat > input.dat &
$ imp .... file=input.dat ....

since IMP is reading from a device that does not support seeking, this will work (as long as cat is OK with the big file).

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sat Sep 25 1999 - 08:15:44 CDT