Re: help sizing extents

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:29:06 +0100

Agreed, you really do have to be careful when picking the extent size and number of free-list groups, especially with OPS. The variation in what happens is quite
extreme across the versions of Oracle.

Not only do you need to examine the
INITIAL extents in user_tables, though, to find out what is going you also need to examine BLOCKS in user_extents.

However, my experience with 8.1.5 does
not match yours.

In 8.0 (and 7.3 from memory) the value of initial_extents is 'your specification + freelist_groups * block_size' and then the extent is that size rounded up to 5 blocks. Which really wrecks your attempt to align extents with dml_locks.

In 8.1 the initial_extent is as you specify it, but the number of blocks actually allocated is rounded up to a multiple of 5, and the free-list group taken out of that space. Hooray.

But in both cases, the export actually exports at the value stored in initial_extent - unless you choose the option to compress extents on export. In this case, the value of initial_extent will be the 'rounded up to 5 blocks' value.

Based on the above, I assume your block size is NOT 2K.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk