Re: Which backup tool?

From: Stoyan Kenderov <s.kenderov_at_austria.eu.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:33:18 +0200

Magnus,

After having made some experience with Oracle Backups, I would strongly recommend the use of the Recovery manager. There is an online version of the RMAN Administrators Guide (but you should have it on your installation media too) which provides a chapter on exactly your question -which backup strategy is best. It covers also the OS backup vs. RMAN controlled backus. I use RMAN in conjunction with Legato Networker and am very pleased with both the performance and the possibilities it offers. There is a Legato Storage Manager (LSM) Software included on your installation media, which is better than nothing, should you deside to use a third party media manager.

regards,

   Stoyan