Re: Oracle Backup Methods

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:10:17 -0400

You really have two questions here:
1. What's the best way to backup my database? 2. How can I be safe if somebody accidently drops a table?

Each question has a seperate answer. First, you want to prevent the entire loss of your database. This is what a backup plan is for. If you want to get the Oracle option for Arcserv, then you can probably use RMAN in conjunction with that tool. (I am not familiar with arcserve, but I would suspect RMAN would work with it.) If you don't get the Oracle Extension, you should at least do a weekly cold backup (database is down, all files are copied to tape) and tape your archived log files (please don't run a prodution database in noarchive log mode) once or twice a day. You will then be safe for your backup/recovery plan.

Protecting yourself against someone dropping a table is a little different. You will want to do periodic exports and then copy those exports to tape. Remember, though, that an export is only a snapshot in time. Any changes made to that object will not be reflected in the previous export.

</SOAPBOX>
One way to prevent objects from being dropped is by implementing production controls. By having one central group to manage object maintenance, you will minimize the "ooops" factor. Yes, your developers will bi**h and moan that they can't get their work done, but that's what a development environment is for.
</soapbox>