Re: setting up listener on unix

From: Brent Tucker <btucker_at_servman.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:16:56 -0600

Al,

Here is the common entry for the listener for Oracle:

listener        1521/tcp                        # Oracle listener

Port 1521 is the well known port for the Oracle 7 and Oracle 8 listeners. Just add it to the services file and you are all set.

All you will need on the client is the Net8 client binaries, and a tnsnames entry for your DB. Use the Net8 Easy Config tool for Windows, and the Oracle ODBC driver, and any of your apps should be able to connect.

One potential gotcha is the you may need to specify the domain as a part of the service name for the TNSNAMES connection. Use the format sid.domain where sid is you instance name and domain is the network domain you are working on.

Brent Tucker
Server Management and Design
www.servman.com