Re: Redo log files requirement?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:43:05 +0200

Yes Oracle definitely requires redo log files. Any change is written to the redolog files first, so they are used also to piggyback transactions. Yes you can turn them off by setting an undocumented parameter. However, users doing that did experience their database became very vulnerable to crashes.
You would need all archived redo log files. You are referring to two different kinds of recovery. The recovery type in your SMON question is recovery from power outage and so on, the former question refers to IMO, disk crash. In the power outage case you still need the online redolog files to rollback and to roll forward and bring the database in a consistent state.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
Yev <yev_at_NOnetideaSPAM.com> wrote in message news:GUsG3.6278$QJ.364650_at_typ11.nn.bcandid.com...
> We are getting an custom app written in Delphi that has been connected to
> work with Oracle8. The app does all the referential integrity checking on
> the client machine (yeah, yeah, I know!). It also does not use triggers,
> stored procedures. So tables & indexes only.
>

> Does Oracle8 definitely *require* redo log files? Can they even be turned
> off?
>
> If our backup/recovery stratagy was to rely on the last complete "cold"
> backup to recover to (we have limited access to a DBA), then would the
redo
> logs be required for recovery?
>
> Am I right to say though, that Oracle8 requires the redo log files for
PMON