Re: How to create objects in specific data_files ?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:36:32 -0400

Excuse me, but ...

    I didn't see an ALLOCATE EXTENT option in either the CREATE TABLE or CREATE INDEX statements. So, it doesn't look like this will work.

    Even if you were able to create a table or index in a specific datafile there is no guarantee that Oracle will insert additional rows in the same datafile (unless it is the only datafile in the tablespace).

    I suspect that the best solution is to create additional tablespaces, one per desired index. The only concern here is that you keep the number of datafiles below the limit for your platform.

regards
jerry gitomer

Kugendran Naidoo wrote in message
<37E8B316.7A38BFDC_at_absa.co.za>...
>Hi
>
>Read the online doc's.
>There is an 'ALTER TABLE <table_name>
> ALLOCATE EXTENT
> (DATAFILE '/u01/<file_name in table's tablespace>')
>
>Good luck
>Kugendran Naidoo
>

>Nemniss wrote:
>>
>> You can try to partition the indexes and tables. By doing so
you can split
>> the load evenly across the datafiles. Just remember the
golden rule: Don't
>> put the table, and it's index on the same drive.
>>
>> Nemniss
>>
>> Mirza Mohsin Beg <mbeg_at_netearnings.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to create several indexes in a single tablespace
which has
>> > several datafiles over different several external drives.
>> >
>> > Is there any specific way to make Oracle 8.0.5 create
specific objects
>> > (ie the indexes) in specific datafiles, than having a
different