User defined data types in Oracle 8i

From: Arati Vijay <vijayj_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:32:44 +0800

Hi,

I am involved designing the data model for a warehouse, which is based on Oracle 8i. This is a financial (banking) warehouse which will run on AIX (IBM RS6000s).

The user defined data types (object types) are very interesting and I intend using these features extensively.

Has anyone out there used such types in a warehouse?

The problems I foresee are

  1. There appear to be no tools for the transform and load stage. Does anyone know of any tools that support user defined types, and run on AIX?
  2. There appear to be no querying and OLAP tools supporting such types. Anyone aware of any tools?
  3. So far, I have seen only Paradigm Plus (from Computer Associates) and Rational Rose that might subject dat modelling and support features. Any other tools available?
  4. Lastly, are there any known side effects of using such user defined types?

Thanks,
Vijay Jairaj Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 10:32:44 CDT