Multiple instance startup gives ORA-1102

From: Brian Rasmusson <br_at_bellesystems.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:46:36 +0200

I'm trying to set up a second Oracle 8.0.5 instance on a Solaris host. I have done the following:

  1. Copy init* and config* from instance 1 to new.
  2. Edited config<2>.ora and modified control files and db_name
  3. Added new instance to /var/opt/oracle/oratab for dbstart to work
  4. Set my ORACLE_SID to new sid
  5. Issued "CREATE DATABASE" command from svrmgrl

The above resulted in new control files, redo log files and system tablespace file to be created. Everything seemed to work.

However, when I try to start the second instance (or both for that matter) using e.g. dbstart, I get the following error:

|SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.
|Total System Global Area 64011792 bytes
|Fixed Size 48656 bytes
|Variable Size 54050816 bytes
|Database Buffers 9830400 bytes
|Redo Buffers 81920 bytes
|ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode
|SVRMGR>
|Server Manager complete.
|
|Database "Site" warm started.

Where did i goof? Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Brian Rasmusson
Manager, Software Development
Belle Systems
E-mail: br_at_bellesystems.com
Tel.: +45 5944 2500 Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 08:46:36 CDT