Re: problems with dbshut/dbstart

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:59:42 -0400

This brings up another question. In my /etc/rc2.d/K99oracle script I always do the dbshut first (the dbshut has been edited to do SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE) and then take the listener down. Is there any good reason for having any specific order to which is shut down first. I guess I always figured that if there were active connections then I couldn't shut the listener down, so by shutting down the instance first (with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE), I am sure that there are no connections and then the listener will come down without complaints. On the way up, then, I start the listener first and then the database - I primarly do this because I have client apps which are always trying to acquire a connection and since I use MTS I want to make sure that the dispatchers are ready and waiting when the database comes up because otherwise the clients will acquire a direct connection and that is undesireable.