problems with dbshut/dbstart

From: Greg Silverman <gms_at_gms.email.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:00:23 GMT

Help,
We are trying to get a script working to do shutdown/startup for backups of an 8i db.

Have tried something like this for the shutdown (similar for startup):

su - oracle -c "lsnrctl stop" >> /var/log/oracle
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/oracle
su - oracle -c dbshut >> /var/log/oracle

The listener does stop (start), as seen from /var/log/oracle, but I cannot get the
dbshut (dbstart) to actually stop the database.

We do have all instances defined in the oratab file, but I assume that this file is only looked at if/when the server is rebooted. What is the proper syntax to get the instance names in the dbshut (dbstart) command line, or is there some other problem?

Thanks!

--

Greg M. Silver <gms_at_tc.umn.edu>
UofMN Cancer Center Computing