Re: Can I Send mail from Oracle Server

From: <robert.bowen_at_mubimedia.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:34:45 GMT

> Use the UTL_FILE package to open send mail and close it.
> you open /usr/bin/sendmail just like a normal file and then write to
> it as you would write to sendmail( look for help using sendmail in
> perl forums) and then close it.
> This should work, post reply if you need additional help.
> -Juturi

Well, I tried doing this and guess what? It overwrote my sendmail file! Argh! Now I'm stuck with the unenviable task of re-compiling sendmail. Anyway, I'm curious what I did wrong. I was getting 'Invalid Operation' errors until I changed the permissions so that the Oracle user could write to sendmail. (And metamail, both without making a backup. For some reason it didn't even occur to me that I would be WRITING to these files and this risk MESSING them up! And yes, I killed metamail too!)

After changing the permissions it still didn't work (though I received no errors) so I changed the permissions back and went to use sendmail from command line and NO GO! I looked at the date, today's date. uh-oh. I cat'd it and sure enough instead of jibberish there is now the text (command) I sent from my pl/sql CGI script.

Any idea why this happened? And do you know an easy easy way to just replace the sendmail executable instead of re-compiling the whole thing again? :)

Cheers.
syg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 05:34:45 CDT