Re: slower connection to NT than to Unix

From: Yves <yves_at_staf.pi.be>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:15:35 +0200

Martin Hepworth <maxsec_at_totalise.co.uk> wrote in message news:37E9E0F0.2433E63C_at_totalise.co.uk...
> Yves Van Wert wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > i 'm heaving a nasty problem. I got 2 servers running
> > oracle 8.0.5. One on Linux and one with NT 4.0 SP5.
> >
> > The two are on the same network segment and there is no
> > load on the machines and they are identical.
> >
> > When i try to connect to the linux server from anywhere
> > on the network it takes about 0.3 secs. When i do the
> > same to the NT it takes almost 2 secs (a big difference).
> > If anybody knows how to get the connection speed of the
> > NT to drop please mail me at :
> >
> > mailto:yves_at_staf.pi.be
>
> Is there any difference in the NT setup? Does the NT use SQL*NET/ODBC
> and the other clients use net8? Whats the DNS setup like?
>
> What's the load like on the NT box?
>
> Martin

The connect to both is via NET8. DNS setup is the same for both servers. I know have two other testmachines installed (a portable with Oracle on Linux ==> connection speed 0.3 secs and a desktop with oracle on NT ==> connection speed almost 2 secs). So it seems to be a feature of NT :(.

But i still need to know how i can get to make it faster. I called oracle support in Belgium but they couldn't help me :(

The NT setup is pretty basic (there run no other services than oracle).

thx
Yves Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 04:15:35 CDT