Re: Data Warehouse Backups

From: Kugendran Naidoo <kugenn_at_absa.co.za>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:03:46 +0200

Hi Mike

Welcome to the party. I consult to a major bank in South Africa and our Data Warehouse is about 500GB about to become 1.5TB. We run Oracle Parallel Server 8.0.4.3.1 on IBM SP/2 (Massively Parallel Processors) with AIX 4.2.1. Its a tough job. Seeing as we are a 24 x 7 x 52 system, we cannot afford downtime. 500GB is also alot so we do not do backups since be can reload the data (sql loader) in parallel very quickly. We are about to move to EMC disk architecture with mirror, so a disk crashing will be taken care of.

We have 12 nodes with 500MB of RAM, and 4 RS/6000 CPU's in each.

What's your planned architecture and configuration. Trust me, its important. Also the Oracle version is important too. Parallel Server has some bugs in certain releases and we've had our fair share too.

Cheerio
Kugendran Naidoo Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 03:03:46 CDT