Re: problems with dbshut/dbstart

From: Alex Hudghton <alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:33:49 +0100

Greg Silverman <gms_at_gms.email.umn.edu> wrote in message news:37E95615.9D032230_at_gms.email.umn.edu...
> Help,
> We are trying to get a script working to do shutdown/startup for backups
> of an 8i db.
>
> Have tried something like this for the shutdown (similar for startup):
>
> su - oracle -c "lsnrctl stop" >> /var/log/oracle
> rm -f /var/lock/subsys/oracle
> su - oracle -c dbshut >> /var/log/oracle
>
> The listener does stop (start), as seen from /var/log/oracle, but I
> cannot get the
> dbshut (dbstart) to actually stop the database.
>
> We do have all instances defined in the oratab file, but I assume that
> this file is only looked at if/when the server is rebooted. What is the
> proper syntax to get the instance names in the dbshut (dbstart) command
> line, or is there some other problem?

You may wish to edit your dbshut to do a 'shutdown immediate' instead of shutdown.
If there are any processes connected to the database at the time you run the script, the database will not shutdown until they are terminated. 'Shutdown immediate' does this cleanly (with rollback) although it may take a while.

dbshut / dbstart uses oratab at all times.

Alex Received on Thu Sep 23 1999 - 02:33:49 CDT