Re: 7.1.6 -> 7.3.4 -> 8.0.5

From: Chetan Wagle <chetanw_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:42:47 +0530

Hi Joe,

   Moving the controlfiles is very easy. Assume that u have only 2 controlfiles named /home/oracle/cf1.ctl and /home/oracle/cf2.ctl and you wish to move them to /home1/oracle/cf1.ctl and /home2/oracle/cf2.ctl.

   Follow the foll steps:

  1. Check out where your controlfiles are by checking the v$controlfile view (login as SYS for this). Assume that u have only 2 controlfiles named /home/oracle/cf1.ctl and /home/oracle/cf2.ctl.
  2. In your init.ora or config.ora file, locate an entry called CONTROL_FILES=/home/oracle/cf1.ctl, /home/oracle/cf2.ctl. These will correspond to the values you got in step 1.
  3. Shutdown your database.
  4. Copy one of the controlfiles from above into the new locations you want. Assume that you wish to move them to /home1/oracle/cf1.ctl and /home2/oracle/cf2.ctl eg : /home/oracle/cf1.ctl. Then copy one of the original controlfiles into the new destinations with the appropriate names.
  5. Modify the entry in your parameter file to point to the new locations and the new files : CONTROL_FILES=/home1/oracle/cf1.ctl, /home2/oracle/cf2.ctl.
  6. Start up your database and recheck the v$controlfile view.

   A word of advice, keep one copy of your controlfiles and logfiles outside the RAID array too, just in case something goes wrong in the Array especially if u have a hardware-based RAID system (I faced this once).

HTH,
Chetan
Bangalore, India