Re: Oracle 8i Intermedia and OLE

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:27:12 -0700

Try

SELECT primary_key_column id, ctxsys.score(1) score FROM table t WHERE ctxsys.contains(blob_column, ‘John’, 1) > 0 ORDER BY score DESC;

to get the documents identified by the primary_key and ordered by number of hits. Also try a better keyword than 'John' - I think by default this would have been indexed using the default preference, but am not sure. Do NOT use a noise word, such as I, is, the, a, and - as these are not indexed by default.

To review, you should have done something like the following before this

  1. Index the blob using the default preference with the INSO filter i.e CREATE INDEX index_name ON table_name (blob_name) INDEXTYPE IS CTXSYS.CONTEXT PARAMETERS('filter ctxsys.inso_filter');
  2. Check for errors (should return 0 rows). SELECT count(*) FROM CTX_USER_INDEX_ERRORS;

If you have any errors at this stage, check that

  1. You have ORACLE_HOME set as an environment variable. This must happen BEFORE you start the database, so if you don't set it, and restart the instance
  2. You have ORACLE_HOME\ctx\bin in your PATH
  3. Check the status of the index by SELECT idx_id id, idx_name name, idx_table_owner tname, idx_key_name key, idx_text_name text, idx_dociid_count nbr, idx_status status FROM ctx_users_indexes;

You should see the index name, the name of the table, the primary_key_column name, the blob column name, the number of documents indexed, and the current status of the index (INDEXED).

Then Bob should be your mothers brother....

knudaage_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I’ve (at last) successfully created an intermedia index at my Oracle
> 8.1.5.0.0 Enterprise. A table with a BLOB-column stores OLE2-objects,
> and I tried to create ctxsys.context (index) with both a NULL_FILTER
> and a INSO_FILTER on the blob-column, but I have no hits when trying to
> select count(*) from object_table where contains(blob_column, ‘John’);
> And I KNOW there should be some hits, there are over 500 MS-Word-
> documents.
>
> How can that be?
>
> Regards
> Mads Poulsen
>
> knudaage_at_hotmail.com

Regards,

Mark Townsend

Senior Product Manager				Ph: 	(650) 633 5764
Server Division					Fx: 	(650) 506 7222
Oracle Corporation				Email:	mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com