Re: Import object order problem

From: Graham C Thornton <graham.thornton_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:36:36 -0500

Oracle's IMPORT utility, whilst very useful, is also a pain in the bum.

You can export with or without constraints, but you can't import without constraints, leading to the very frustrating importing no rows, = disabling
constraints, importing with rows, re-enabling constraints and trying to figure out which tablespace the constraint's index was using before you disabled it.

One thing I always do after importing a user's objects is to recompile the schema. This usually cleans up any lingering after effects of the import, and anything still INVALID after the recompile ought to be investigated further.

I guess in this case you could import with grants=N, data=Y and then =

do another import with data=N and grants=Y, but when are Oracle going to fix this problem properly??

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to blow off a little steam.....

Graham

--
Empowerment - delegating the responsibility but not the authority.

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Abbott = Laboratories.

    Jim.Pickett_at_cubic.com wrote in message ...     Dear fellow Readers -

    I'm doing an import of an exported 7.3.3.5 database and have = discovered an ordering problem

    with the import file. ( I am exporting a username which owns a set = of objects, dropping/recreating

    the owner, then immediately importing the just created export file = ).

    The problem appears to be with a view that references a function. = The create view DDL statement

    is processed BEFORE the create function DDL from the import file = causing the view to be

    'INVALID' . Because of the invalid status, subsequent grants of = privs to the view to fail leaving

    me with a bit of a mess to manually clean up.

    Has anyone else experienced this behaivor with the Oracle7 import = function ?

    Regards, Jim   Received on Wed Sep 22 1999 - 14:36:36 CDT