Re: Q: Is Oracle 24*365 possible?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:41:53 -0700

Dave

Until you get to Oracle8, your application needs to trap the errors that occur when the instance fails, then switch to the other instance. Applications developed with the Oracle8 OCI libraries can transparently failover.

Not sure what you mean by the "common cause failure rate", but unless your application is designed specifically with OPS in mind, I wouldn't switch to it without a good deal of up-front redesign work. This changes of course with Cache Fusion in 8i, but you're not on that release.

HTH. Pete