Re: Can I Send mail from Oracle Server

From: <robert.bowen_at_mubimedia.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:06:01 GMT

  1. I would like to use metamail instead of sendmail as I'd like to send attachments. But metamail is only writeable by root. Do I change this permission? Create a group and put the oracle user in it and give write permission to that group? Or create a link to it that's world-writeable?
  2. It says in the documentation NOT to make the utl_file_dir one that has symbolic links to any other directory. And yet that's what I would have to do, no? metamail is in /usr/bin and sendmail is in /usr/sbin. Or I could go with the symbolic link solution mentioned above ...
  3. In any case, another strange question - I know how to use metamail to encode and send gifs and html pages. But HOW do you send an HTML page and actually have the gifs show up? When I do this the HTML code (forms, buttons, etc) works but of course the IMGs don't come through. Of course not as the are pointing to a "path" that the email app doesn't understand. And yet I receive HTML pages via email from many sites ... How is this done?

Curiously awaiting any assistance.
syg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Sep 22 1999 - 11:06:01 CDT