Re: 8i with only 48mb of RAM?

From: David Boateng <david_boateng_at_systemsunion.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:49:17 +0100

The minimum Server memory requirement for 8i is 64 and a typical minimum is 96 MB but Oracle recommends 128 MB.
So I'll go with the 128 MB. This should be ideal for your production database.

I tend to assume this is only for Oracle. Anything else has to be catered for separately; that way, you are ready for any surprises.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about starting to use 8i. There is nothing much to it other than the new look and of course the new OEM. If you understand what Oracle8 stands for, you will find 8i easy to use too (As far as a DBA is concerned, at least). Going back to your memory concerns, 8i has got a resource manager. It is worth having a look at!!