Re: PL/SQL buffer error

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:12:07 +0100

In article <7s93it$4vn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, la_quake_at_my-deja.com writes
> Hello everyone, I wrote this pl/sql prog. that has some 6 cursors and
>2 loops. One loop is an implicit loop used to go through every record
>and so it spans from the beginning of the program till the end. The
>other loop is a small loop that goes through a varchar2 field and
>parses it one by one looking for numbers. The length of this varchar2
>field is 25, however, my program only handled two records with a max
>value of 16 in this field. I commit before the end loop statement. I
>get the following error. Your help is greatly appreicated (deadline is
>2 days from now).
>
>ORA-20000: ORU-10027: buffer overflow, limit of 2000 bytes
>ORA-06512: at line 512

You are using dbms_output.put_line which stores its output until the procedure finishes. Unfortunately, you are trying to output more than the buffer has room for so you get the above error.

Increase the buffer size with....

SQL> set serveroutput on size 10000

or

dbms_output.enable(10000)

Andy
--
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request