Re: What are the differences between the default accounts SYS & SYSTEM?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 01:33:19 GMT

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:05:06 +0800, "Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote:

>I am a beginner in Oracle database, know the highest accounts are SYS &
>SYSTEM, I don't quite understand the differences between these two accounts.
>Can anyone tell me:
>1. What are the differenced between them? What are their privileges?

There may be some historical reasons why there are two accounts. Basically though, SYS owns the data dictionary. SYSTEM is intended for the DBA to use. Both usually hold the DBA role, which conveys all the privileges (except SYSDBA and SYSOPER).

>2. Are there any accounts which can be used even if the database is
>shut-down? (the connect internal) What are their privileges?

When the database is closed, you are connecting to the instance. You can grant the SYSDBA and SYSOPER roles to any user, and that user will be able to connect to the instance, start/stop the database, recover the database, etc.

>3. Can SYS & SYSTEM be diabled or changed in any way?

I imagine that they could. I can lock and unlock SYS using these commands:

	alter user sys account lock;
	alter user sys account unlock;

Is there a reason why you want to do this?

>Can other accounts be
>authorized to be as privileged as SYS & SYSTEM?

Yes.

regards,

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 20:33:19 CDT