Re: utl_file

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:22:11 -0400

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:48:45 GMT, cduvall_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>I am trying to get utl_file working. I have Oracle 8.0.4 on NT. I set
>up the utl_file_dir initialization parameter. When I run a procedure
>such as:
>
>declare
> v_file_id utl_file.file_type;
>begin
> v_file_id := utl_file.fopen
> ('e:\prodfiles\mfile\lifs',
> 'lif.txt',
> 'w');
>end;
>/

Two things to check.

  1. Did you restart the database once you set the init.ora parm?
  2. Check for Case. Even though NT is not case sensitive, the definition of the utl_file_dir is. So if you have in your init.ora

  utl_file_dir = e:\Prodfiles\mfile\lifs

                    ^

And you issue the fopen above, then you will get an error.

hope this helps.

chris.

>I keep getting an "utl_file.invalid_operation" exception. Is there a
>step I am missing to get this set up properly? I have checked all of
>the directory paths and the initialization parameter, but I can't
>figure out why this is not working.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Thanks alot,
>Clayton DuVall
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Christopher Beck
Oracle Corporation
clbeck_at_us.oracle.com
Reston, VA.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 13:22:11 CDT