ORA-12203: TNS:unable to...

From: dtj_y2k72 <dtj_y2k72_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:04:33 GMT

Good afternoon,

I have just installed Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on a winnt 4.0 sp4 machine. I have created an alias to database, created the database, and added a user to the database. I can login to the database using various Oracle utilities as the user I created. The service for the SID, and the service for OracleTNSListener are started. All looks well until I try to issue a 'imp80 username/password' from the command line. At this point I encounter errors that I have been able to find much information on. (Below)

I have not touched the listener.ora or tnsnames.ora files that were created during the creation of the database.

One post I read suggested two things to try, ping host, and tnsping80 host. Both of these ping's are successful.

The server is on my local machine, and the machine is on a network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-snip-

c:/Progra~1/samples/Oracle804 > imp80 <username>/<password>

Import: Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on Tue Sep 21 12:43:7 1999

(c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

IMP-00058: ORACLE error 12203 encountered
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec 2, hex 0x2)
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
c:/Progra~1/samples/Oracle804 >
-snip-

Thanks,
Darren Johnson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Sep 21 1999 - 12:04:33 CDT