Re: Performance of Oracle on read-intensive operations

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:59:00 +0100

Yes, it's pretty normal.

Your earlier post describes 100 byte rows, and 0.5Gb file. That's about 5,000,000 row are copied.

This post says the total elapsed time (is that including the pipe through compress) is 36 mins, of which the shadow took 12 minutes CPU and SQL*Plus took 15 minutes, leaving at most 9 minutes for compress file waits.

Remember that

  1. Oracle shadow has to make blocks read consistent, unpack blocks, convert data to external formats, and pack data into the pipeline
  2. SQL*Plus has to unpack the pipeline, convert data into output format, and write it to file in small pieces.
  3. The pipeline is usually very small (ca. 2k or 4K) and only one of (a) and (b) can occur at any time, the dialogue is synchronous, and a typical round- trip time is likely to be around 0.5 to 1 millisecond.

By comparison, cp just jumps to a point in a file, streams a great slice into memory, and slams it down somewhere else. Particularly effective if the file system is a Veritas file system.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

<7s6etf$g8m5_at_xlprod01.westpac.com.au>...