Re: SHMMAX on Linux/ Oracle 8.0.5

From: Chetan Wagle <cwagle_at_ctp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:38:28 +0530

Hi harinder,

  To understand your query, you need to be familiar with the way Unix/Linux operates. Actually, the UNIX memoery manager will keep SHMMAX amount of memory as shared memory. Thus, the value of SHMMAX denotes the maximum amount of shared memory that you can possible have and not what u allocate. Shared memory is allocated in segments which is donw by the OS only.

  Oracle mentions that the SGA MUST lie in shared memory, so your SHMMAX parameter must be greater than your SGA size, else your SGA cannot be created and Oracle won't start at all. The SHMMAX parameter has nothing to do with your database size or the number of rows in any table.

have a nice day,
Chetan Wagle
Senior Database Consultant
Cambridge Technology Partners,