Re: What are the differences between the default accounts SYS & SYSTEM?

From: Karen Abgarian <karen.abgarian_at_fmr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:56:04 -0400

See inline

Dino Hsu wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a beginner in Oracle database, know the highest accounts are SYS &
> SYSTEM, I don't quite understand the differences between these two accounts.
> Can anyone tell me:
> 1. What are the differenced between them? What are their privileges?

SYS owns the db's metadata, it is similar to UNIX's "root" account. All tables Oracle internally uses for running the db are owned by SYS. SYSTEM is much more regular, it is just an account with many privileges granted. Some objects, which are not required for the database server itself to run, are stored under SYSTEM account.

> 2. Are there any accounts which can be used even if the database is
> shut-down? (the connect internal) What are their privileges?

Internal is a special account for running database administrative tasks, like startup / shutdown, recovery, archiving logs and something else. Connect internal actually creates a SYS connection. Internal is getting obsolete, SYSOPER/SYSDBA roles are going to replace it.

> 3. Can SYS & SYSTEM be diabled or changed in any way? Can other accounts be
> authorized to be as privileged as SYS & SYSTEM?

You can create another account and grant all those privileges to it - you will get a copy of the SYSTEM account. You can disable both accounts, if you mean not allowing anybody to connect using them. But you not really need it, since you can simply set their passwords. What is important - dont alter any objects in there.