Re: Oracle "Instance" same as SQL Server "Database"?

From: Vernon Adams <vernon_at_ezgov.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:10:41 -0400

Eric Yu wrote:

> As a newby to Oracle coming from an MS/Sybase SQL Server background, am I
> correct in interpreting that an Oracle Instance is equivalent to a separate
> Database in SQLServer? Thus, to create a new logical database requires
> creating a new Instance with separate associated processes for each
> instance? Or may it also be appropriate to define & treat a Schema within
> an Instance as (semantically) equivalent to a separate Database (without the
> associated additional processes)?
>
> Thanks in advance for any education here.
>
> /EY

I recently made the same transition. Everything that I learned from others and
based upon my own observations, you should use the second approach (treat a
schema within an instance as equivalent to a separate database). In SQL Server,
a new database does not incur the additional overhead that you get with Oracle.

Once you use this approach, you can then use synonyms to allow other users to
access the tables within a schema without qualifying the names.

--
Vernon J. Adams
ezgov.com, Inc.