Speed Issue

From: Valadep <valadep_at_aol.com>
Date: 20 Sep 1999 21:39:02 GMT

I have been working on a speed issue with Oracle, (or Paradox) and found something while looking through the Database. The speed issue in question does not exist on some database but exists especially in one of them.

Here is a run down. The BBBB database has 122276 records in the NOTES table. The AAAA database has 96899 records in the NOTES table. The NOTES tables has the following structure

ORDERNUMBER NOT NULL NUMBER (indexed)

TEXT LONG TRANSFER NUMBER(2) (indexed) -> field exists only in AAAA

When using the Paradox's TCursor.Open("NOTES") method, there is a delay of 4 seconds in BBBB and 10 secs in AAAA.

One thing I did notice is that some of the tablespaces are of different sizes, and used up to capacity in AAAA. The most prominent one is the ROLLBACK_DATA tablespace.

Tablespace Size Used

BBBB 800M 166M AAAA 130M 129.955M I also looked at all other database, and their ROLLBACK_DATA tablespace where only used up to 75%. AAAA is at 99.9% of capacity. Is there a script I can use to check and see if any Cursors have remained opened on the server. I tried to write a Delphi app using Request Live set to true and the is also a 6 second delay. I think TCursor in Paradox works a bit like RequestLive in Delphi because both methods allow you to update a LONG type field (or any field) using a Update method (no SQL).

In the DATAFILES section of Oracle Storage Manager, BBBB has 3 ROLLBACK_DATA files while AAAA has only one. I know that when we import a database into Oracle that errors do occur if the Rollback segment is to small. Do you think this might be the problem. I did not install the database and am not an expert in this field, but I do have all the Oracle Enterprise Manager tools on my PC and can check the configuration of all the databases.

Thanks

Pierre     Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 16:39:02 CDT