Re: crypting data in an oracle database

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:51:37 +0100

Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:37E65D13.54F471E8_at_us.oracle.com...
> Walter
>
> No-one outside of Oracle and very few people inside of Oracle know the
> algorithm used by Oracle to encrypt the password. So the answer to your
> question about using it is no, it can't be done.
>
> Pete
>
> Walter Dorninger wrote:
>
> > My problem:
> > I would like to crypted data in an oracle database. e.g. password
> >
> > My question:
> > Is it possible to use the STANDARD crypt mechanism oracle uses by itself
> > hide the password of the users in the database ? e.g. if you query the
view
> > dba_uses you will get the passwords in crypted format.
> > Does anyone of you knows what sort of crypt algorithm ORACLE uses ?
> >
> > P.S. I don't want to use the translate function ;-)
> >
> > Thanx
> > Walter

Hi Walter.

You don't actually need to decrypt, you just save the crypted version and when a user tries to log on you crypt the entered password and compare the result with the saved version. When you need to crypt your string you can just create a dummy user with the given password and look up the crypted version of the password in the database (SYS.USER$). You'll be limited to 30 characters however. Perhaps there's a more elegant solution...

HTH. Finn Received on Mon Sep 20 1999 - 14:51:37 CDT