Re: Oracle 8.1.5i on Linux - can't create a database!

From: John Wang <wang_john_at_bah.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:40:01 -0400

For some reason, after applying the 8i patch, when i connect through internal, it started asking me for password. I think that is why the script is failing. so, if you modify the script it generates, it should be ok.

one thing I do not understand is that why Oracle wants to install the software under oinstall group. It does not make any sense to me. If I have another user in dba group, that user cannot read/write to the Oracle home directory. Any body has any idea why Oracle wants this oinstall group?

Thanks

jw
Don Mark <donmark_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:37E24BAC.FE62546B_at_earthlink.net...
> Try Running connecting manually via svrmgrl to determine if it may be a
path
> problem or maybe the init.ora is not in the specified directory. You can
then
> vi the script and rerun the script.
>
> Robert Claeson wrote:
>
> > I'm installing 8.1.5i on Red Hat Linux 6.0 and am having problems
creating
> > databases with it. I've made sure that all the prerequisites are ok
(kernel
> > params, compatibility rpm's etc). Db Assistant generates errors. A
closer
> > inspection shows that the errors comes from the scripts it generates,
> > although there's really nothing wrong with them.
> >
> > After svrmgrl is started, the script connects with "connect internal".
That
> > works ok. Then it performs:
> >
> > startup nomount pfile = /u01/oradata/admin/ORCL/pfile/initORCL.ora
> >
> > Now, svrmgrl responds with TWO messages:
> > ORACLE instance started.
> > ORA-01012: not logged on
> >
> > Then the script tries to create a database with "create database yadda
> > yadda..." but it fails since the connection to the database is lost.
Anybody