Re: sysdba and sysoper

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:11:46 +0200

This depends on how secure the connection is. However, there are reasons (and I did see somewhere in docs Oracle recommending) not to use the Oracle account at all, except for installations and maybe shutdown/startup. Anyhow you should make sure not to mess up the $ORACLE_HOME tree with own scripts, output etc. An inadvertent delete and presto... If you use the oracle account you should change the password frequently, as this account should be vulnerable from attacks when your database can be reached from the Internet. You'd better use a different account in the dba group.
Sysdba and sysoper are especially instrumental when you can not telnet to the server, and the server itself is on a different location. It comes in handy, when you use OEM, and especially when you use OEM for multiple database on different locations. You can save the init.ora to the OEM console, and as long as you make sure the OEM repository is in it's own instance, you will be able to shutdown and startup remotely. Please note also Oracle has announced at various times, INTERNAL is going to be obsoleted. Last thing I saw about this is it will not be available in Oracle 9.(and excuse me, I don't remember the link).

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA