Re: Oracle shutdown abort on NT

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:08:06 GMT

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:50:37 -0700, "Hop Pham" <pham_hop_at_bah.com> wrote:

>....[SNIP]....
>We are planning to migrate to 8i (8.1.5 on NT w/SP 4) later this year. Does
>anyone know if the same Oracle abort/NT shutdown problem persists on 8i?
>Thanks.
>
>-hop
>pham_hop_at_bah.com

I have 8i (8.1.5.0.0) on NT4/SP4 and it still shuts down in abort mode, even if my registry (ORA_<SID>_SHUTDOWN, ORA_<SID>_SHUTDOWNTYPE) is set to shutdown immediate.

If I shut down the OS, according to the alert file it obviously doesn't even try to shut down the oracle instance in any kind of controlled way.

But the funniest thing is, even if I stop the service manually (via control panel), it doesn't stop the instance properly. In alert file there appears a line "Shutting down instance (immediate)", but then there is no trace of "ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL" in the alert file. When I restart the instance it performs a crash recovery.

The only way for me to cleanly shut it down if by doing it from the SQL*Plus or svrmgr30 manually (or via a batch script).

Regards,

Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sat Sep 18 1999 - 15:08:06 CDT