Re: Oracle shutdown abort on NT

From: Hop Pham <pham_hop_at_bah.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:50:37 -0700

In the original post to this thread, I reported the problem that whenever NT shutdowns, it did not trigger an event to stop the OracleService<SID>, and thus Oracle performed a shutdown abort every time NT went down. When OracleService<SID> is manually stopped (assuming appropriate NT registry values are set for Oracle), Oracle indeed comes down normally (in immediate mode). Our environment is Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on NT w/SP 3.

I took up the issue to Oracle support, and was told that the problem was due to a bug in NT at SP 3 level, and it's fixed with SP 4, but was also told that Oracle did not always shutdown in immediate mode even with SP 4 installed. Oracle suggested that I create a shutdown batch file, and *** run this batch file manually PRIOR to every NT shutdown ***. Well, I applied SP 4, and Oracle still crashed when NT did a shutdown.

Just when I was giving up all hope of automating this Oracle/NT concurrent shutdown process & about to relay the bad news to our NT admin, I examined Oracle's e-mail reply to my TAR, and noticed an Oracle internal note that mentioned that this problem was fixed in patch 8.0.5.2.0. I applied this Oracle 8.0.5.2.0 patch today (from Oracle's ftp site ftp://209.246.5.40/server/patchsets/wgt_tech/server/windowsNT/80patchsets/80 520) , and lo and behold, it worked!!! Oracle now comes down cleanly when NT goes down, even with NT w/SP 3.

We are planning to migrate to 8i (8.1.5 on NT w/SP 4) later this year. Does anyone know if the same Oracle abort/NT shutdown problem persists on 8i? Thanks.

-hop
pham_hop_at_bah.com Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 16:50:37 CDT