Re: INTERNAL PROFILE = SYS?

From: Daniel Guzman <dan_at_guzman.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:45:51 GMT

In article <7rtscq$hc6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   AleX <korrozia_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <7rtja7$a7l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Daniel Guzman <dan_at_guzman.net> wrote:
> > -hope this doesn't appear twice. lost my session while posting.
> > Hello. We are using an Oracle 8.0.5 DB on NT and I am having
problems
> > getting into it via sqlplus. I have a couple of newbie questions:
> >
> > 1. How do you find out the service name?
>
> Look it up in your local tnsnames.ora file
>
> > 2. Is the HOST STRING(SQL PLUS) the same as the service name?
>
> Yes ( but then again it can be anything depending on your tns setting)
>
> > 3. Is there a way to grant sysoper or sysdba using system or sys?
> > 4. Can you grant sysdba through gui interface?
> >

> You're better off simply creating DBA accounts.
>
> > My boss changed the sys password and I can't get in using the
interal
> > profile anymore on the box. I thought the INTERNAL profile was and
> > alias to SYS or SYSTEM. I also tried the SYSTEM profile's pwd. We
> > need to create a profile and give this profile the sysdba role so we
> > can start and stop the server. Forgive the newbie questions
normally
> > dba would handling this, but we don't have one. And aren't getting
> > one. Thanks,
>
> You need to have either a sys or a system password. if connecting as
> sys, make sure to connect as
> connect sys/password as sysdba
>
> Thx
> --
> Alex Shterenberg
> "I hate people. I think they should suffer as much as
> possible, and therefore I'm into those old communist
> dictatorships." - Euronymous, Mayhem

Thanks. I still can't figure out how to connect as sysdba using sql plus. Let me clarify. I am able to login to the gui Enter. Manager using INTERNAL now and there is a drop down box that has 3 options Normal, SYSDBA, and SYSOPER. I click on SYSDBA and I am able to start and stop the instance so I am in as sysdba. Now, I want to create a user that can do this instead of using INTERNAL. I go into the Security Manager GUI and find the user I want to grant SYSDBA to and the system role/priv and when I try to apply it I get an error. It says "cannot add users to public password file." I tried this through sql plus and get the same error. I am using grant sysdba to username. Using sql plus I don't connect as sysdba, but I get the same result as being logged into the gui as sysdba. Where to you put all the text for connect sys/password as sysdba from the sql plus gui with user, password, and connect boxes? I can connect doing internal/password in just the user box of the sql plus gui but not with internal/password as sysdba. Thanks again.
--
Web Application Programmer
3Com Corporation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 12:45:51 CDT