Re: INTERNAL PROFILE = SYS?

From: AleX <korrozia_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:05:39 GMT

In article <7rtja7$a7l$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Daniel Guzman <dan_at_guzman.net> wrote:
> -hope this doesn't appear twice. lost my session while posting.
> Hello. We are using an Oracle 8.0.5 DB on NT and I am having problems
> getting into it via sqlplus. I have a couple of newbie questions:
>
> 1. How do you find out the service name?

Look it up in your local tnsnames.ora file

> 2. Is the HOST STRING(SQL PLUS) the same as the service name?

Yes ( but then again it can be anything depending on your tns setting)

> 3. Is there a way to grant sysoper or sysdba using system or sys?
> 4. Can you grant sysdba through gui interface?

You're better off simply creating DBA accounts.

> My boss changed the sys password and I can't get in using the interal
> profile anymore on the box. I thought the INTERNAL profile was and
> alias to SYS or SYSTEM. I also tried the SYSTEM profile's pwd. We
> need to create a profile and give this profile the sysdba role so we
> can start and stop the server. Forgive the newbie questions normally
> dba would handling this, but we don't have one. And aren't getting
> one. Thanks,

You need to have either a sys or a system password. if connecting as sys, make sure to connect as
connect sys/password as sysdba

Thx
--

                 Alex Shterenberg

"I hate people. I think they should suffer as much as  possible, and therefore I'm into those old communist

         dictatorships." - Euronymous, Mayhem

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 12:05:39 CDT