Oracle8i - Caldera OpenLinux

From: Steven Scott Guilford <sguilford_at_minglewooddata.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:14:31 -0700

I'm probably crazy for trying to do this but we're evaluating Oracle8i under Caldera's OpenLinux version 2.2 In typical Oracle fashion, nothing works right right out of the box - or wire as the case may be. I'm sure there's some stupid Linux package or Java setup that allows the 'Oracle Universal Installer' to run.

I got the JRE from BlackDown - 'jre_1_1_6-v5-glibc-x86_tar.gz' - and when I go to run 'runInstaller' I get a message saying the Java Runtime Environment is initializing and then....nothing. Is there a way to get a trace from JRE while it's nitializing ?

I'm running this under Caldera's standard KDE desktop environment. I've seen other traffic relating to this so I'm sure it's solvable. Probably gotta get a package update or two from Caldera's FTP site but the question is which ?

Also, the Caldera Marketing team is busy 'talking' up how wonderful Oracle is under Linux - so I guess that means it works.. Funny, never known marketing types to be smart enough to deal with Larry's Big Mess.

Any Ideas ???? Thanks.... Received on Fri Sep 17 1999 - 02:14:31 CDT