Re: Help choose a good tool for database maintenance

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 19:42:05 +0800

Peter Fullbright wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We all know that a DBA may have his collection of database monitoring,
>
> maintenance and tuning scripts to run a database successfully. My
> question is, what is the best tool, in terms of easy development and
> portability to categorize each of these queries and click on the
> button/hypertext links to execute the queries for results:
>
> Some of the options that came to my mind are :
>
> 1. Oracle Forms, where we can associate each query to a button
> 2. Perl, where we can embed SQL scripts inside Perl scripts
> 3. Plain HTML, but I do not know how to execute SQL scripts from HTML
> 4. Java and SQLJ, but I do not know what the formatting capabilities
> are in Java to display the output on the screen
>
> I might be wrong in the above list of choice. Please suggest a good
> tool
> so that a DBA can have all the scripts executed from one tool , which
> is easily accessible and be able to format the output from the
> queries.
> Thanks.

It is a relatively simple matter to setup two types of simple monitoring:

Type 1: Routine (scripts that you run at regular intervals to list attributes in the database)

Option 1: Use SQLPlus, spool the output to a file (optionally prettying the output with html embedded commands in the process) and deploy to a web page.

Option 2: Use a web listener (say Oracle web server, or the smaller WebDB) and run the equivalent PL/SQL commands to produce static pages.

Type 2: Dynamic (whats happening right now)

Option 1: CGI interface to run SQL Plus scripts

Option 2: Use a web listener (say Oracle web server, or the smaller WebDB) and run the equivalent PL/SQL commands to produce dynamic pages.

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Thu Sep 16 1999 - 06:42:05 CDT